The process of moving comes with a ton of choices. Which realtor to hire, which house to buy, and which furniture to move – these are all hard enough decisions to ponder. You’ll also have to figure out if it is better to hire movers or move yourself. Thankfully, the folks over at Moving.com are here to help you figure that out.
Deciding whether to hire movers or move yourself largely depends on your budget, proximity to the new home, the complexity of the move, your budget, and your personality. Before making your decision, take a look at the advantages (below) of each option.
Advantages of Moving Yourself
- You have total control over your move – The greatest pro to a DIY move is that you are in complete control over the entire moving process. Not only do you get to choose the truck and all of your moving supplies, but you can handle all the moving boxes yourself to ensure that nothing breaks in the process. Committing to a DIY move means that you have the flexibility to decide when to begin the move and when to end the move. If you’re moving in bad weather, you can decide how best to protect your belongings. You’re also in control of how to load the truck, and you don’t have to worry about movers dumping boxes and furniture in the wrong rooms.
- You’ll save money –If you’re on a tight budget, then a DIY move is probably for you. Even if you’re just relocating next door, the expenses incurred from hiring a moving company can quickly add up and exceed expectations. However, if you rent a moving truck, you could save thousands. For instance, U-Haul’s largest moving truck option (26 feet) holds four-plus bedrooms, and costs start around $40 to rent. When selecting your U-Haul, you can choose add-ons and loading supplies for a fee as well.
- Pack however you want – Along the same lines as the last pro – when preparing for a DIY move, you don’t have to worry about packing all of your belongings perfectly. Movers will want all of your boxes to be sealed and ready to go when they arrive. But by moving yourself, you won’t necessarily have to box up odd-shaped belongings, such as lamps and plants. You won’t have to obsess over how to box up other items, like simple pillows and blankets, either. You can pack as little or as much as you want – as long as everything is in that truck on moving day, you’re good to go.
Advantages of Hiring Movers
- You won’t have to lift a finger – Leave the heavy lifting to the professionals. After all, these trained movers were hired for a reason. By enlisting a reputable moving company, you won’t have to worry about lifting and carrying your heavy couches down the stairs and out the door. You also won’t have to worry about straining muscles, scratching up new floors, or begging friends to help with the lifting. Instead, you can focus on babysitting your children, watching your pet, and other important tasks. Or you can just kick back and relax.
- The move will be efficient – Assuming that you’ve hired a legitimate and experienced moving company, expect your movers to be reliable. Unlike friends who can flake, the moving company is under contract to assist with all agreed-upon aspects of the move. The moving company should arrive on time with the appropriate supplies and equipment – saving you from the not-so-fun task of gathering dollies and furniture pads at the last minute. In the long run, hiring a reputable relocation company saves the customer a lot of moving hours.
- Less stress, overall – In general, hiring movers saves you from many of the common moving-day stresses. In addition to a moving company’s time-saving benefits, hiring help will also save you from maneuvering a giant moving truck down the highway. Moving trucks are notoriously tricky and challenging to drive. Trailers aren’t much easier either. If the idea of loading and driving a large moving truck stresses you out, then we highly recommend hiring movers to help.
Hire Advance Movers Today!
At Advance Moving and Storage, INC. we are movers who are here to help you have the best move possible in Greenville, NC, New Bern, NC, Kinston, NC, and surrounding areas. We’re dedicated to making sure you get everything you need on your next move. Large and small moves welcome, whether you’re local, intrastate, or interstate, our courteous, experienced, personnel are ready to help.
We want to help you feel less stressed during your move, and sometimes that means deciding to hire professional movers. You might be on the fence about hiring someone to pack and move your belongings, and we understand why. But you won’t regret hiring us for your move. Contact us today!